Sunday, December 04, 2005

And Caroling me must go!!!

As most of you who frequently visit my blog know that I come from Goa. And being goan comes with its own set of abilities and talents. Once such talent, which is embedded in our gene pool, is music. There is barefoot football too, but I didn’t stray in that direction. Im sure saltwater would agree with me.

Anyhow, ever since ever that I remember playing guitar, I remember going around the block singing Christmas carols at everyone’s house. And I’ve probably played all of them. But there was this one song that I just didn’t get. Actually there are a couple but for the sake of easy readability I’m only going to mention one for now.

I saw mommy kissing santa clause!

Now this song has tormented me for a while now. Lets look at the lyrics first:

“I Saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus,
Underneath the mistletoe last night!
She didn't see me creep,
Down stairs to have a peep!
She thought that i was tucked up
In my bedroom fast asleep.

Then I saw Mommy tickle Santa Claus,
underneath his beard so snowy white!
Oh, what a laugh it would have been,
If Daddy had only seen,
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night!”


the first couple of lines in my then nimble mind I just couldn’t understand. Theres this kid who has just seen his mother kissing santa clause. And we are all singing about it. Sure theres the mature way of looking at it and sayin ok kewl hes an old guy and it’s a harmless kiss like but then the last couple of lines kinda contradict that. “if daddy had only seen” would there have been a family squabble if daddy would have seen? I donno. If its harmless then why the secrecy?

Secondly, this kid is just a pervert! Sneaking in on his mother like that.

Thirdly. Beard tickling! Now that’s just kinky

This is one of the most absurd Christmas songs ever! And the enthusiasm we all sing it with! Bloody Hilarious!

21 comments:

Blogger KM said...

lol...ur actually right.
imagine putting in on video...i totally imagine a surreal, dreamy sequence happening.lol.

btw...i sang christmas carols when i lived in chicago(which was ages ago, and for a brief period).
i loved 'silent night' and 'hark how the bells'.

i think of it now and its funny when i pcture myself in my head.
9year old little muslim-desi girl singing christmas carols like her life and santa's approval depended on it!

ps.i looooooooove the song!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

hey christmas is a universal thing. most of my non catholic friends know the lyrics better than i do..
btw which song are u talking about?

3:23 PM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

Khizzy's 'Silent Night' reminds that the song was originally written in Salzburg in this Church which has now earned the name 'Silent Night Church'

And no, I haven't been there yet. But I believe its a church that was buit into the mountains creeping out. Wow!

Seasons Greetings to one and all. Now I go back to making my wishlist for Christmas.. SANTA you listening to me???

3:34 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

just a thought.. maybe santa was the daddy.. just a thought, of course

3:50 PM  
Blogger angeldust_xtc said...

:) I guess its all abt how u look at things, and in this case lyrics. Was just singing that song (or shud I say screaming?) in the afternoon.

Was pleasantly surprised to hear the White Christmas track on ur blog


Regards,
One more Goan

4:07 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

me: silent night is an awesome track man. there are like a zillion versions of it. everyone of them rock! my fav one to sing when im drunk at a pre christmas party.

cowlick: you know what. that could be soo... and so the plot thins....

angeldust: its still a very nonsensical song... but cowlick here could have a point. there will be a whole bunch of carols that'll be playin on the blog...
VIVA LA GOA!!!

4:26 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

OMG! You mean you're not kidding?? you mean it NEVER crossed your mind??? you mean?? It's like sooo in-your-face

4:42 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

well ya but its like argumentative... i mean the beard tickling and if daddy found out statements... it could really be santa. or maybe another guy dressed as santa. an affair perhaps. i can take it otherways even

5:09 PM  
Blogger KM said...

i meant "white christmas"

but now i realize i never commented on "shattered"...i really like it...the first version too.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

khizzy: kewl, thanks.

5:22 PM  
Blogger KM said...

oh my god!
the snowflakes rock!

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

Oh, women like me just like old men. That's all.

Yea, we always have.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

khizzy: hehe yeah. it took me some time to figure out how to put them, i still see a few glitches on my page

misty: who are you?

10:44 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

sweetheart, the kid doesn't know it's daddy dressed as santa.. that's why he's singing the song.. it's his mom and dad who've "put together" santa for him.. kids think there IS a santa claus.. or wait a sec, did i bust your myth too?

11:04 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

cowlick: Honeybunch, that could be the case. or maybe thats what they want you to believe...

11:09 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

and i do believe in santa clause... and no matter who says what! im always gonna believe it!!! its what keeps imagination alive. and i need my imagination to earn some money. so there! Santa is real!

11:11 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

you do know that these snowflakes are going to drive me away, don't you?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

cowlick: whats ure problem with the snowflakes? its christmas!!! wheres your christmas spirit?

12:35 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

I don't do christmas spirit. I like holidays, yes, christmas, new years, diwali.. no special attention to christmas except for the good bargains in shops. I usually work on all these days. That could have something to do with the lack of spirit. You know, "what's the big deal. it's just another working day" kinda thing.. this year should be different though since i'm spending it in india.. maybe that will bring the spirit back for years to come.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

awee mate, thats like a downer man. u cant be the christmas grinch!!! i hope india gets ure spirit back. its the only time of the year where u can be all happy about everything and ure not considered demented! cheer up mate.

1:14 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

:)

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home