Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Pearl Experience!

Its 8:39 and im late. I drive up to the securtity guard and he tells me… “Sir, no parking here” I flash my card…

:oh! Sorry sir… go right through”

the car is parked and then begins the whiskey shuffle towards the gates where stands a man 6 foot and full of muscle. He asks: “do you have a reservation sir?” I flash my card.

“Welcome Mr. Clinton.”

The gates are opened by what looks to me like two young gorgeous eastern European women. Who in the most politest of fashion ask me. “where would u like to be seated sir, by the bar or on the couches?” I said. “the bars fine, im meeting someone here, thanks anyways”

She says, “your welcome Sir. Have a good time”

I sit at the bar with some colleagues and the lead bartender comes and up to me with a hand & asks: how’s it going mate? What would you like to drink?

I said: “id like a pint of beer and some almonds”

He said: “beer?, the last time you were really enjoying my long island ice tea’s?


I said: “just a beer tonight my friend, and its quite cool you remembered what I was drinking the last time:

He said: “hey, that’s my job!”

The night went on and the few photographs were taken. The manager came up to me and asked me : “Clint, long time no see. Glad to see you here. Hope you are enjoying yourself”

Two beers were over and I had to get back to the grind the next day. Asked the bartender to close my bill and give me my card.








A few minutes later he says: “here’s your card sir, your drinks are on us! Have a good night Sir!”

Walking out the door I was wondering what the heck did I do to deserve this treatment. I’m not like that rich to be flaunting my shit at the best club in the country. I’m not a celebrity either.






Im just a member of the media!








p.s. Pics from a short shoot at the pearl lounge club at the Doha Marriott Hotel. i love being a photographer.

18 comments:

Blogger Once the Conman said...

Pearl... Man... It's awesome...
You'd probably say I'm over-saying... but honestly... it's one of the best clubs I've been to in my life...
least expected to find it in Qatar!
And dude... the pics are awesome.

4:18 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

and you're bloody good at it too! media means power, man, and you'll only appreciate it when you get out of it.

4:44 PM  
Blogger alice said...

nice pics...and i get that kinda traetment everytime i fly...its amazing...enjoy it til it lasts..

7:15 PM  
Blogger Big Man said...

beer and almonds... hmmmn verry interesting. wonder what sigmund would have to say about that.

great pics though!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

conman: thanks mate.

cowlick: i had got outta it for a bit. ure right. i missed it.

alice: everytime you fly? im talkin about a club?

big man: sigmund would have joined me. glad you liked the pics, whoever you are...

11:54 PM  
Blogger KM said...

i love the treatment of the pics!
they feel so rich!
very seductive and sinful!
gorgeous pics!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

thanks kizzy. i think seductive would be the right word.

& for anyone who's interested, i was using a nikon coolpix 995 with 1/4 shutter speed and full open aperature. didnt see what the aperature was cause i was too focused on finishing my beer.

1:09 AM  
Blogger KM said...

the apurture setting worked out since im assuming the bar was dark!
its caught the light(any available light) perfectly!

2:04 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

You lucky bitch!

And the drinks look gorgeous... remind me to carry a camera the next time I go clubbing.
*making mental note*

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics indeed.;)

7:19 AM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

oooh really neat pics though just maybe they're a little to saturated. Then again I'm just a rookie.

Just as I began reading the post I was thinking to myself is this the D50? But then the clarity wasnt that high. The first shot is just a blur.. but an interesting one.

Hey clint just as soon as the megamorpher is invented would you like to swap lives? Photography and biking.... whate else does one need? :-)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You shudda ordered more drinks dear!

(ahem, typical cheapskate mentality, but what the heck)

And yes, Steven Hyde because that's so Hyde. Remember how Jackie left him and he turns on the radio (he's a led zep fan) and some sappy track's on..and he says "I finally get the blues"

Or not...

9:53 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

saurabh: u will learn eventually that overexposing or underexposing a picture is a good thing. saturation or desaturation is all up to you mate. its called artistic licence. you can do what u want with the photograph because its ures and ure the artist. you are not a press photographer where everything has to be clear. experiment with blurs and shakes, its art you are creating mate! the 995 is a little fuckall cause its not an slr but its really handy when i want all these artsy pics cause of its swivel lens. and trust me u dont wanna swap lives with me. its difficult when everybody thinks ure insane....

jupiter: im not much of a drinker. and yes, now i remember that episode with steven. ws very funny.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

Hey all greats were thought of insane at one point in their lives. Some of the really brilliant ones are still thought of nutcases till date.So ...

I'm looked upon as a mad cap whenever I sit down to discuss my desire to buy a SLR. They look at me as if i just lost my beans somewhere spending half a lakh on a camera.
'But you can get one for as little as 7000.'

Aaaarrrrgh!

Aiming for a D70... hoping to end up with one. :-)

Presently fiddling with a Vivitar 3000. Too bloody long to see the results and whats more is one should keep notes of the settings of each shot to check with later. Oh the digital world is so much better. :(

10:40 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

never compromise on equipment man. its perfectly justified to pay that kinda money. the more you spend, the more you will make. the d70 is a good buy. but check out some of the other canon digital SLR's. they are cheap and offer good megapixels. might buy myself one canon 350

vivitars are good cameras mate. you have to go film before you go digital. otherwise you wont respect the art of photography.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

I did have the pleasure of using the 350XT in a shop once. What can I say! The experience was orgasmic to say the least. The sound of the shutter releasing at lightning fast speed after presing, the clicks and the beautiful music of the flash re charging after firing.
Sweet sweet music...

My only gripe with Film is the notes taking that goes with it. I want to know instantly...where I went wrong cos the lighting and everything else will change a few days down the line. But yeah you're right about one thing the film does have a certain degree of charm unmatched by these digital behemoths.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Saurabh, How come you didn't pursue this full time? =D

Clint- There you go! finally!
Love that 70s show..quite the characters they are. "because BURRNNNNNNNN"
giggle.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

Well I was a part of the rat race till I found that my love for this was much more than just a hobby. Having peer pressure and duties doesent help the cause either.
But fikkar not, I work away today slowly albeit steadily towards the dream.

It's so hard to break away from this monotony of life even though one detests it so much. It's got it's tentacles wrapped around me.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home